Please disregard any prior MUP postings. The following was effective January 1, 2017.

MUP Hotline: 585-279-3432

Membership Union Participation (“MUP”) Program Frequently Asked Questions

1. How long will I have to participate in each event?
The time depends on the location and purpose of the activity.

2 How is my date determined?
The dates are chosen randomly through a computer program.

3 When and where do I call to get information for the location?
You will call the designated hotline number, which is located on your letter, the night before your scheduled activity.

4 What do I do if I am late?
Because activities are pre-scheduled, you must give yourself ample time to arrive before the activity starts, otherwise, you will have to reschedule your participation date.

5 Can I complete my MUP prior to being assigned?
Yes, by volunteering prior to being assigned dates.

6 What if it rains or snows?
Weather is taken into consideration. In case of bad weather, cancellations are determined at the time of the activity. If you are scheduled and the activity is cancelled, you will receive credit.

7 Can someone else stand in for me?
Yes. You can ask another member of the NERCC to substitute for you. However, if that person fails to participate, the assigned member shall be subject to the assessment if date is not made up.

8 I missed my date, can I make it up?
Absolutely, please call the hotline for the next available location. You are only allowed to make up one of your two days assigned. If you have missed your assigned date, failure to complete your second assignment will result in dues assessment per offense and possible suspension from membership as per Section 22 of the Council By-Laws.

9 Can I serve my Participation when out-of-work and get credit for it?
Absolutely, call designated hotline number, which is located on your letter, the night before.
Be sure to sign in and get a receipt.

10 Is my New York City MUP accepted in NERCC?
No, your New York City MUP is not reciprocal to NERCC.

11 Am I required to participate in events that are a long distance from my home?
Council members can participate in any action throughout the council, not just in their home local’s jurisdiction, and receive credit for the day.

12 Is volunteering acceptable credit for my Participation?
Yes, upon approval from the Council/Local, you may get credit for your participation for volunteering in local community activities.

13 What happens if I do not participate at all?
Any member who fails to participate is subject to a dues assessment per offense and possible suspension from membership as per the Council By-Laws.

14 Why do I have to participate?
As a member, you have certain obligations to your union and we need the cooperation of all members to show our unity, build our market share and strengthen the union.

15 Are Retired Members required to fulfill MUP requirements? All Members working more than 99 hours are required to complete two MUP’s in that year.

16 How is the assessment applied?

Each member will be assessed $500 in the calendar year. They will receive a credit of $250 which is applied to their assessment per MUP completed.

CARPENTERS IN ACTION – Community Projects

Mulberry Street Buffalo