MUP Hotline: 585-279-3432
NEW ENGLAND REGIONAL COUNCIL OF CARPENTERS
Union Participation Program (“UPP”) Program Frequently Asked Questions
- How long will I have to participate in each event?
The time depends on the location and purpose of the activity.
- How are the suggested dates and events determined?
The dates are chosen randomly through a computer program. When you receive a letter requesting participation in an event, you should call the hotline number to let the Program know if you will be participating on that date, and if not, to schedule another date for your participation within the calendar year, if you wish to receive the credit for that year’s UPP dues assessment.
- When and where do I call to get information for the location?
You will call the designated hotline number, which is located on your letter, the night before your scheduled activity.
- What do I do if I am late?
Because activities are pre-scheduled, you must give yourself ample time to arrive before the activity starts, otherwise, you will have to reschedule your participation date.
- Can I complete my UPP prior to being sent the letter?
Yes, by volunteering prior to receiving the letter.
- What if it rains or snows?
Weather is taken into consideration. In case of bad weather, cancellations are determined at the time of the activity. If you are scheduled and the activity is cancelled, you will receive credit.
- Can someone else stand in for me?
Yes. You can ask another member of the NERCC to substitute for you. However, if that person fails to participate, you are not eligible for the credit for the UPP dues assessment, unless the date is made up.
- I missed my date, can I make it up?
Absolutely, please call the hotline or check the website (if there is one) for the next available location.
- Can I serve my Participation when out-of-work and get credit for it?
Absolutely, call designated hotline number, which is located on your letter, the night before.
Be sure to sign in and get a receipt.
- Is my New York City MUP accepted in NERCC?
No, your New York City MUP is not reciprocal to NERCC.
- Can I participate in events that are a long distance from my home?
Council members can participate in any action throughout the Council, not just in their home local’s jurisdiction, and receive credit for the day.
- Is volunteering acceptable credit for my Participation?
Yes, upon approval from the Council/Local, you may get credit for your participation for volunteering in local community activities.
- What happens if I do not participate at all?
Any member who fails to participate is ineligible for the credit for the Union Participation Program of $250 dues assessment per date missed.
- Why should I participate?
As a member, you have certain obligations to your union and we need the cooperation of all members to show our unity, build our market share and strengthen the union.
- Are Retired Members required to fulfill UPP requirements? All Members working more than 99 hours in the year are required to complete two UPP activities in that year.
CARPENTERS IN ACTION – Community Projects
Mulberry Street Buffalo